Light rain sprinkled the Southland Friday, but the region is due for a bout of heavier, steadier rainfall Saturday, forecasters said.
"Motorists should be alert for slick roadways due to the combination of oil and rainfall," warned a National Weather Service advisory.
In Altadena, forecasters predict a 30 percent chance of rain Friday afternoon and evening, with high temperatures tapping out at 64 degrees, according to the NWS' website. But Saturday, the chance of percipitation jumps to 60 percent, with high temperatures hovering at 62 degrees.
Friday's rain is the result of a cold front expected to weaken as it moves south, producing only scattered showers through this evening, according to the NWS, which forecast stronger rainfall late Saturday morning as a result of a second cold front that also will trigger showers through the evening.
A weak third cold front on Sunday is not expected to generate rain as far south as the Greater L.A. area, NWS forecasters said.
"The rainfall this weekend may produce ponding of water in low-lying and poorly drained areas," according to the advisory.
No significant snow accumulation is expected in the Southland this weekend because the snow level will remain above 7,000 feet, it said.
The NWS Weekend Outlook for Altadena
- Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. South wind around 5 mph.
- Friday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. Calm wind becoming east southeast around 5 mph.
- Saturday: Rain likely, mainly after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. South wind around 5 mph becoming east northeast after midnight.
- Sunday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 62. East southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the morning.
- Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.