New members of the Town Council were sworn in at Tuesday's meeting, and Gino Sund handed over the gavel to new Town Council Chair Sandra Thomas.
Okorie Ezieme will take over as vice chairman, Doug Colliflower as treasurer, Greg Middleton as recording secretary and Jamie Bissner as corresponding secretary.
Here are some of the highlights from the meeting, some of which we will follow up on in later posts:
- On Sept. 1, Athens Services will take over residential trash services in Altadena, and representatives from the company gave a presentation on their services. They will be giving the same presentation tonight at the Altadena Community Center tonight from 7 to 8:30 p.m. and Saturday at 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- The council voted to send a letter to the county expressing its concerns that Rubio Cañon Land & Water could violate noise abatement laws when it drills a new water well. Residents near the drilling site at 3371 Rubio Canyon Road will be notified of the drilling, and the county will hold a hearing on the matter on August 2.
- Deputy Greg Kaplan from the presented the results of a that its deputies and volunteers conducted last month in . The survey found that most of the roughly 150 households surveyed felt safe and satisfied with the services. Their greatest concern about crime was theft, and the biggest nuisance was traffic. Deputies will be teaming up with the California Highway Patrol and council members to address traffic issues.
- The council voted to create a committee to design welcome signs at the entryways to Altadena, noting specifically that these signs would include "no other messaging." That could put a damper on the effort to create a combination sign on New York Drive that would both welcome residents to Altadena and serve as a 9/11 monument. Residents from Altadena and neighboring Pasadena residents spoke up in favor of the 9/11 monument .
- A representative from the county brought up the issue of recent "problem" coyotes that are lingering in Altadena neighborhood and offered residents tips for dealing with coyotes. Read our post about it .