Watch out for a wet commute Friday morning, as rain showers are expected to douse the Southland into the Veterans' Day weekend.
The cold-weather system is likely to generate snow flurries at the 3,000-foot level and cause temperatures to drop up to 20 degrees below normal, forecasters said.
"A cold upper-level trough of low pressure will affect southwestern California with scattered showers and mountain snow showers Thursday night into Saturday," according to a National Weather Service advisory.
"Light showers ahead of this weather system are expected to affect portions of Ventura and Los Angeles counties...with scattered showers persisting into Friday morning."
Temperatures in the San Gabriel Valley are expected to hit 60 degrees on Friday, with a low of 46, the NWS website states.
Rainfall amounts are difficult to forecast with precision because of the showery nature of the expected precipitation, according to NWS forecasters, who said they generally expect a quarter-inch of rain or less but that up to a third of an inch is possible.
As a result of the cold front, temperatures will be falling sharply -- "as much as 10 to 20 degrees below normal by Friday," according to an NWS advisory.
Here's the extended Altadena Forecast for the Veterans Day Weekend, according to the National Weather Service:
- Thursday Night Showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Friday A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Friday Night A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Saturday A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 58. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph.
- Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 40. West wind 10 to 15 mph becoming north in the evening.
- Veterans Day Sunny, with a high near 65.
- Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 47.
- Monday Sunny, with a high near 72.
- Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.