The deadline to file to run for Altadena Town Council is Tuesday at 5 p.m, and candidates must turn in their application at the Altadena Community Center by that time.
The center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday.
Filing to run in the election is a pretty simple process: all the forms needed to run are attached to this article. With the few simple steps listed below, anyone can easily register.
There will be eight seats on the ballot, one representing each of Altadena's census tracts. Anyone interested in running must identify the census tract they live in and file to run there.
Those who want to run must have lived in Altadena for at least two years and be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, and currently registered to vote in L.A County. If you meet those requirements and want to run, take the following steps:
1) Read the Information Sheet, Rules and Ethical Standards, all of which are attached to this article. All candidates have to sign a statement testifying that they have read this information.
2) Look at the map of Altadena Census Tracts (attached to this story) and determine which one you live in. The Altadena Town Council seats are geographic districts that are determined by the federal census tracts - you must be a resident of a particular census tract to run for the seat that represents it. You also must be a registered voter to be eligible for a seat. To be sure about your census tract, you can also search by your address.
3) Fill out the application
4) Write a candidate statement that tells voters who you are and why you are running for office. The length of the statement is up to you, but it is a requirement for running for office.
5) Take the completed application and the candidate statement and seal it in an envelope along with a $35 check or money order made out to the Altadena Town Council. This is a non-refundable filing fee.
6) Return the envelope to the at 730 E. Altadena Drive by May 8 at 5 p.m. The center is open Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Make sure you bring a valid California ID with your current address on it with you- the clerk will log your application and check your ID on the spot.
Some other important information:
- There will be a candidates forum on May 15 during the regular Town Council meeting that starts at 7 p.m.
- For anybody who would prefer to get a hard copy of the application papers, which includes a labeled return envelope, they are currently available at the Altadena Community Center during its regular hours.
- Anybody with any questions should contact Eric Pierce, the chair of the election committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.