Though the sun may be shining on Pasadena and the rest of Los Angeles County, 60 tons of real snow at Kidspace Children's Museum will offer some cool winter fun for kids and families.
Yes, it's once again time for the Snow Days winter celebration at Kidspace.
The festivities, now in their fifth year, take place from Wednesday, Dec. 26 through Sunday, Dec. 30. Snow play will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends.
“This is a great experience for kids who have never experienced snow before,” said Kidspace CEO Michael Shanklin. “Last year we had 45 tons of snow over three days. "This year, we decided to make it even bigger and better for the kids with five days of snow and by bringing in 60 tons of snow.”
In addition to making snowmen, snow angels and snowballs, some of the many other activities scheduled for Snow Days include:
- Writing special holiday wishes to hang on the “wish-teria” vine.
- Interactive shows about the water cycle and the possibility of snow in Los Angeles.
- A lesson about seedling trees, after which you'll get one you can bring home to plant in your own yard.
- Cookie decorating.
- Winter arts and crafts.
- Holiday story reading.
- Ice fishing.
- Dry ice experiments.
There will also be several live performances. *Performances begin at 1 p.m. daily.
Here is the schedule of acts:
- Wednesday, Dec. 26—glass harp musical performance with Brien Engel.
- Thursday, Dec. 27—Get your body moving at the rocking dance party with DJ Joey.
- Friday, Dec. 28—Discover the mystery of "Frosty’s Magic Hat" with Franklin Haynes Marionettes.
- Saturday, Dec. 29— Combine music and puppets for a funny wacky show with Groovy David and Friends.
- Sunday, Dec. 30—A performance from Ballet Folklorica Nuhuatzen.
The 2012 Kidpsace Snow Days are sponsored in part by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, along with Pasadena Water and Power. For sign up information and for a calendar of events, please visit the museum's Web site.