With students going back to school and coming fresh off a holiday weekend, it might be easy to forget to skip the monthly Fancy Food Truck Friday event at Webster's, especially since is not scheduled to make an appearance this month.
So here are six reasons not to: The Grilled Cheese Truck, Nom Nom Truck, Curb A Peel, Sweet Arleen's, Greenz on Wheelz and No Reservations.
The names alone are not enough to convince you? Very well, read on for in-depth descriptions and links to menus.
As always, the event takes place on the second Friday each month from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday in the parking lot behind the Webster's complex. There is no charge to show up to the event.
New to Town
- The Grilled Cheese Truck - If food truck lore is correct, it serves it pretty damn well. I've heard this one comes with long lines, so get here early if you want to eat grilled cheese. Though the menu can be as simple as you like, by my count they have 6 different cheeses and 17 different potential sandwich additions, so you can customize to your heart's content.
- Nom Nom - I somehow managed to miss this truck at a Sierra Madre food truck event it was scheduled to appear at. You will not escape from my grasp this time Nom Nom. If you are not familiar with Banh Mi, the Vietnamese sandwich, here is a chance for you to avoid a trip down to Alhambra and enjoy one of the less-damaging legacies of French colonialism in Southeast Asia.
- Curb a Peel - Tacos, sandwiches, some with Asian influences. I looked at the menu and felt like the truck was all over the place. Fortunately, that is their intent... on their website, they describe the truck "as diverse a melting pot as Los Angeles is."
- Sweet Arleen's - An entrant on the Food Network's Cupcake Wars program, this truck has cupcakes, bread pudding, and other sweets.
Back from Last Time
- Greenz On Wheelz-- I have this under "Back from Last Time" as it was listed to be at the event, but if memory serves anoter truck got subbed in at the last moment. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have eaten here. For those unfamiliar, this is the truck to go to for tasty food that is also healthy. Their wraps are delicious, and since I began eating here I've attempted (somewhat successfully) to copy them and eat them at home. I'll take the real thing any chance I get though.
- No Reservations--Melty cheese-based sandwiches, fries, short lines... an excellent truck overall. They also have an interesting drink selection.