It's not quite Fancy Food Truck Friday, but here at Altadena Patch we are happy to preview any community event that involves food trucks, and add in the fireworks and the nice venue and this one should be a winner.
For those who have not already heard, the event is being hosted by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce at the parking lot of the Altadena Golf Course at 1456 E. Mendocino Drive from 6 to 10 p.m. on Monday. A portion of proceeds from food sales goes to the Chamber's scholarship fund.
Though in actual fact there is no previous event to compare this food truck line-up to, we'll do our usual format of which trucks are new to town and which are old favorites, comparing the event to past Fancy Food Truck Friday events.
So without further ado, let's go to the line-up.
New to Town
- Slammin Sliders - This truck features not just the traditional slider (little tiny burgers) but also pulled pork, lobster roll, shrimp-po boy sliders and more. Also, smoothies salads, various fry options and slaw.
- The Greasy Wiener - It wouldn't be the 4th of July without hot dogs, so this truck should be a hit. The truck sells 'Jersey Style Fried Dogs' and since I'm from Jersey, I'm very eager to see exactly what that entails (I'm not sure if I missed out on an important part of my heritage or if Jersey-style hot dogs are not actually a real thing). In any case, I've skipped these guys at past events, but this might be the venue where I try them out.
- A Rockin Ice - Another very American-themed truck, A Rockin Ice features mammoth-sized shaved ice atop vanilla ice cream. The truck's very friendly owner was looking for a during the Town and Country fireworks display last year, so this year he is getting his chance.
- Komodo - This truck was at Fancy Food Truck Friday last month. They serve Asian-themed tacos, one of several trucks that do this. I've tried their shrimp tacos, which I found very spicy, but good. They actually have a physical restaurant location in West L.A.
- Sweet Arleen's - An entrant on the Food Network's Cupcake Wars program, this truck has cupcakes, bread pudding, and other sweets. They were in Altadena at September's Food Truck event.
- All American Gourmet Grill - Not much information out there on this truck -it appears to only have a Facebook page, rather than a full website with menu, but they do say they feature gourmet grilled cheese. They were at FFTF in October but I did not eat there.
- Rosa's Bella Cucina - Mobile Italian food. It's good - the items are pretty standard, the kind of sandwiches you find at an upscale pizzeria. I have tried the pesto caprese and the chicken parm and I would recommend both. They also have salads and desserts.