State regulators released a scathing report Tuesday blasting Southern California Edison for the utility's response to the 2011 windstorm. The California Public Utilities Commission says Edison violated safety rules, discarded evidence and used outdated crisis plans.
"Although SCE has said previously that they are determined to do a better job, this report indicates that Edison needs to do a lot more than that," said Assemblymember Chris Holden, who represents Altadena, in a statement. "Power outages adversely impact the quality of life, public safety and the local economy. I will be working with the PUC and Edison in the future to ensure that emergency plans are updated and that the public has a chance to be part of the process."
The San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports the CPUC found that Edison and other utility providers violated power pole safety standards. State regulators also called the amount of time it took SCE to restore power to 440,000 customers "inadequate."
Congresswoman Judy Chu (D-Pasadena), who represents Altadena, among several other San Gabriel Valley cities, released the following statement regarding the CPUC's findings:
"This report confirms that by following such regulations, and by asking for mutual assistance, power could have been restored more quickly."
Click here to read more.