The Pasadena Board of Education shared the following about deadlines and requirements for those interested in running for PUSD school board:
The official filing period for candidates for Seats 1, 3, 5 and 7 on the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) Board of Education closes December 7, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. The Pasadena City Clerk’s Office must receive all nomination papers by that time.
PUSD’s at large board districts became geographic subdistricts encompassing Pasadena, Altadena, Sierra Madre and portions of unincorporated Los Angeles County after the passage of Measure A last June. Board members will be elected to a four year term for subdistricts 1, 3, 5 and 7 in 2013 and subdistricts 2, 4 and 6 in 2015. Voters will go to the polls March 5, 2013 for the primary nominating election and April 16, 2013 for the general election (if necessary).
According to the Pasadena City Clerk’s Office, the requirements for interested PUSD school board candidates are:
• The nomination petition must be issued and filed within the above nomination period.
• The nomination petition must be signed by not less than 25 qualified voters residing in the respective geographic school district area for which the candidate is running for office.
• A candidate must be a registered voter and reside within the respective geographic school district area.
• There is a $25.00 filing fee at the time nomination papers are filed.
• There will be a $400 deposit if a candidate wishes to have a statement printed in the sample ballot pamphlet (optional). Actual charges will be determined upon publication and either a refund or an invoice for the difference will be sent to the candidate after the election.
Please visit measurea.pasadenausd.org and click on “Board District Locator” to determine the proper subdistrict for an address within PUSD’s boundaries. In the locator, check the “Trustee Areas” box under the “Other Layers” tab.
Information for candidates is available online at cityofpasadena.net/cityclerk or by calling the Pasadena City Clerk’s Office at (626) 744-4124. The Pasadena City Clerk’s web page will be regularly updated as candidates file nomination papers.